Planning & Change Implementation
- We work with existing national or regional/district programmes to develop evidence-informed, practical plans.
- We also work with eye departments (government and NGO) to improve organizational and financial sustainability
- We assist and support, through a multi-faceted approach, community-based programmes to reduce blindness from cataract, trachoma, childhood blindness, refractive errors, and diabetic retinopathy.
Training and Capacity Building
- We conduct workshops designed to help teams of eye care professionals develop practical district-specific vision loss plans, trachoma elimination plans, and VISION 2020 programmes.
- We offer training to eye care professionals and public health workers in needs assessment, eye care programme planning and evaluation, epidemiology, research methods, leadership, and management.
- We contribute to strengthen the academic training of ophthalmology residents, and public health students through teaching and supervision of community-based field work.
- We prepare training materials, preferred practice manuals, guidelines, and other materials.
- We investigate cost-effective ways to improve the uptake, quality, and satisfaction with eye care services.
- We explore the issue of gender and blindness, and test methods to increase utilization of services by women.
We study the problems associated with accessing services for children with cataract with the aim of facilitating access to services for these children.